Sightings: Hazy's Hits
A photo gallery of airplanes at the National Air and Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy Center.
- By Michael Klesius
- AirSpaceMag.com, November 17, 2009
Dane A. Penland
The Northrop P-61 Black Widow was a late entry into World War II, designed to intercept German bombers at night and in bad weather. This P-61 was used for various research purposes by the U.S. Army Air Forces, the U.S. Weather Bureau, and the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics. It was retired on August 10, 1954 after only 530 flight hours, and was kept for decades at the museum’s Paul E. Garber storage facility in Suitland, Maryland. The airplane is shown here being moved into the Udvar-Hazy Center in May 2006, after which its wings were reattached for display.