The Last Bombing Run

They survived the mission; would they survive the landing?

White was acquainted with the pilot who had mistakenly landed this British bomber at a German airfield. German soldiers got a good look at the Handley-Page; the dog’s attention was elsewhere. (Drake Goodman)
Air & Space Magazine | Subscribe

Tom Murphy of Las Vegas writes: As a pilot of Britain’s Independent Force 100 Squadron, my grandfather, Daryl E. White, flew a Handley-Page night bomber in World War I and kept a diary of his adventures.

From This Story

April 1917: I was with the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company in their Seattle office, working as an electric engineer salesman covering railway, generating, and transmitting equipment in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. Age 28, single, and healthy, I had decided that if the United States got into the world war, I would enlist in the Army’s Aviation Section. Nobody in the Pacific Northwest seems to know anything about such a section, though the Army enlistment office in the Pioneer Building in Seattle had heard something about flying: They said I should write to the Aviation Section, Signal Reserve Corps of the U.S. Army at North Island, San Diego. I did so immediately.

May 15: Received orders to appear at North Island for a physical examination—at my own expense.

June 13: Left Seattle on the steamship Admiral Dewey. Passed the physical and returned to Seattle to await further orders.

August 1: Enlisted as a cadet in the Aviation Section Signal Reserve Corps of the U.S. Army, starting at $33 per month, with clothing and food furnished. School was a three-story apartment house just outside the North Island campus, where we studied aerodynamics, engines, and navigation—everything except actual flying. Then we were off to new barracks at Mitchel Field, Mineola, New York, and thence to Liverpool on the S.S. Kroonland, arriving in mid-November along with nine other ships in convoy. Very little time to see the sights before we entrained for the rest camp at Southampton, England.

November 24: Left for Le Havre, France. On our way to fight “The War That Will End War,” we were God’s gift to humanity and the world, and we just ate it up. Nothing was too good for the flyboys. Little did we know that it would be late March 1918 before any of us would get into the air. Winter was coming on and the weather was too rough for the French instructors to fly.

We were quartered in immense French stone barracks, known as Quartier de Beaumont. The buildings were cold as hell, with big rooms, small stoves, canvas cots, little heat. The only running water was outside.

December: Snow on the ground. We were all broke, there were no pay prospects, and no flying. Nothing but guard, KP, and latrine duties. We didn’t exactly mutiny but we came close. As a pretty militant gang, we earned the name “Beaumont Bastards.”

Late February 1918: Stationed with the 2nd Aviation Instruction Center in Tours. I took my first instructional flight in a French “warp wing” Caudron G3 with an Anzani 90-horsepower air-cooled radial engine. I soloed in three hours and continued my instruction in cross country flying and altitude. Landing on a target and other techniques were now taught by an American instructor, himself taught by the French.

Early May: With 20 hours of flying time, I started instructing others like myself, from dual to solo.

Comment on this Story

comments powered by Disqus