New Lease on Life

An icon, grounded in Tennessee history.

Carol Johnson and Tom Milligan wear seasonal attire for a fund-raising appeal at the Airplane Service Station on Saturday in Powell. Members of the Airplane Filling Station Preservation Association were seeking money for Phase II of the landmark's restoration. An anonymous donor will match funds given to the group up to $5,000, with March 31, 2008 as the deadline. The airplane at 6829 Clinton Highway was built in 1930 by brothers Henry and Elmer Nickle and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004. Photo by Paul Efird, Knoxville News Sentinel staff (Matt Hale)

Comment on this Story

comments powered by Disqus